Friday, September 16, 2005

Oh the poor fish

I love the aquarium. I love the aquarium as much as I love shopping. I know that's hard to imagine that someone can have two great loves in their life, but I do. Shopping and the aquarium.

I was in bed ready to go to sleep doing some knitting before I turn out the lights when I was suddenly super super hungry. So I got up, put on my robe, and went upstairs for some chips and guacamole. I decided to put on dvd we got at Best Buy but never watched called Naked Fish. I didn't want to watch anything that would really wake me up, and this Naked Fish thing is just supposed to be fish swimming around doing nothing. Kinda like that fireplace dvd.

Unfortunately I am awake now. Bad dvd. Bad idea. I just felt so sad for the fish in such crowded tanks. The cover of the dvd looks so pretty, but it reminded me of our trip to Underwater Adventures at the Mall of America. I saw the brochure at the hotel in Minneapolis while Scott was busy at the Microsoft partner conference thing. It was so cute and I love aquariums. And it was at the Mall of America. I mean, aquarium and shopping all in one place?! Must be heaven. So we went.

The fish were all squeezed into tanks way to small for the number of fish. And we're not just talking a few guppies that did it doggie style and forgot to eat their babies after -- there were large sharks and lionfish so overcrowded they were actually dying. And the poor kids there were like "whoa dad look! That shark has a bite taken out of its fin! Cool!" Actually, no you nasty little brat, these huge territorial creatures are forced into a tiny space and are going to kill each other until the largest one is left and has made himself enough space. And the stupid dad was like "yeah that is so cool! Sharks are cool!"

OK, so a small aside: Americans are so fucking stupid. Americans in the heart of America are so fucking stupid. Did anyone remember to go to elementary school?

I won't go on about the Underwater Adventures place. It makes me too upset. I cried when we left because 1. there was a baby shark in the touch tank; 2. the kids weren't made to wash their hands before and after putting their nasty, grubby little fingers in to touch the baby shark in the touch tank; and 3. the baby shark in the touch tank had its pectoral fin ripped off and it was still bleeding. I was so upset I could barely enjoy shopping at the largest mall in America.

Or maybe that was because the Mall of America is like a really bad strip mall that goes on and on and just has crappy stores. And even the good stores (like Guess -- yes, Guess was the only good store there) were poorly designed. I mean, the Guess store was lit like a Walmart and they seriously should have remembered to follow the little guides they put out for dressing the mannequins cause they were so bad.

OK OK OK, enough. Note to self: don't travel into the heart of America for any reason under any circumstances even if the whole world were coming to an end and the only way to save it were if I personally went back to the Mall of America.


Yay Brussels tomorrow!!!!!!!!



Yay that's not in America!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home